Monday 8 May 2017

(Not) Tech tip #48 - The great American eclipse August 21, 2017

So this is not a tech tip! … J

I remember talking to my classes about this eclipse back in 1998 after I saw my first total eclipse. I was hooked! Experiencing a total eclipse of the sun is a truly amazing experience. A total eclipse is one of nature’s great spectacles.

Monica and I booked a year ago, to go to Idaho to camp in the path of totality, and this will hopefully be our third total eclipse.

The “Great American eclipse of 2017” basically runs from the west coast to the east coast on August 21st 2017. If you have a chance to see this one, I highly recommend it as it is the most accessible eclipse in some time. The next one to come anywhere close is in 2045!

You can find lots of information about this eclipse and where to view it on some of the following sites:

If you decide to stay in Victoria, you will see a big bite taken out of the sun (if you look through eclipse glasses!) as up to 89% of the sun will be covered by the moon.

Let me know if you have any questions, or would like more information.

These tips are now being archived at the following location in a blog format: http://smustechtips.blogspot.ca

Also, please let me know if you have any tips you would like to share!

-------------------------
Mike Jackson, Science Teacher
Senior School Technology Coordinator
St Michaels University School, Victoria, BC









No comments:

Post a Comment